“SOUND RELATIONSHIPS MAKE BUSINESS GROW”
The Board of Directors of Emerald Group is composed of professionals with stellar reputations, extensive track records and deep knowledge regarding cultural, legal, political and socioeconomic differences of the countries in which they operate.
These managers have spent in excess of 120 years of combined efforts in Africa, and their relationships and strategic partnerships with relevant decision makers, local entrepreneurs and CEOs of public and private companies provide privileged access to channel unique investment opportunities and to ensure sustainable growth.
Mr. N’Gunu Tiny
Chairman of the Board
- N’Gunu Tiny is the founder and Chairman of the Board of Emerald Group.
- Mr. Tiny began his career at the CFA Law Firm, where he was an Associated Consultant. He was engaged principally in the firm’s international contracts, international business transactions, oil and gas, mining, and banking law.
- He then worked in London where he co-founded Eaglestone and was Chairman of the Board until June 2013, providing strategic and financial advice to selected clients across multiple industry sectors, with a specific focus on energy, commodities and natural resources.
- Mr. Tiny was Chairman of the General Meeting of Finibanco from 2011 to 2013, a board member of the Angola Securities Exchange Commission from 2011 to 2012, a board member of De Beers Angola Investments from 2012 to 2013. Recently (September 2016), Mr. Tiny has been appointed the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Banco Postal, headquartered in Luanda, Angola.
- Mr. Tiny graduated with highest honours from the Law School of the New University of Lisbon, was a research student at the London School of Economics and a Visiting Scholar at Harvard Law School. He has served as an Associate Professor at the Catholic University Law School and Visiting Professor at the Agostinho Neto Law Faculty, both in Angola
Mr. Khalid Mohamed Al Amiri
- Mr. Khalid Mohamed Al Amiri is an Emirati banker, entrepreneur and founder of several business houses in Dubai, UAE in the food & beverage, retail, industry, trading, services and publishing sectors.
- Mr. Al Almiri started his banking career at Standard Chartered Bank.
- From 1987 to 1990, he worked in various international cities including Dubai, Bombay and Kuala Lumpur.
- After leaving Standard Charter Bank, he held several positions at Dubai Islamic Bank, in Dubai and Sharjah (1990 – 1992), and at HSBC Bank Middle East, in Dubai, Sharjah and MENA Regional Office (1992 – 2012).
- Mr. Al Amiri currently sponsors several international business entities in the UAE and is the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Sharjah English School, a non-profit entity that provides a British curriculum in Sharjah, UAE.
- Mr. Al Amiri holds a BS in Business Administration and English Literature from UAE University.
Mr. Preba Moodley
- Mr. Preba Moodley is the Founder of Sekila International Trade, an international trading company based in Dubai.
- Mr. Moodley has significant banking experience, having commenced his banking career with the New Republic Bank in South Africa, before joining FirstCorp Merchant Bank as an investment banker and treasury specialist. He has been engaged in transactions for major multinationals including BMW, Daimler Chrysler, Anglo American Corporation, South African Breweries. He played a role to help shaping South Africa’s financial derivatives markets. He was part of a team of financial markets specialists that set up Decillion, South Africa’s first nonbank financial derivatives structuring and trading company. Following the IPO of Decillion on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Mr. Moodley served as the managing director in South Africa before relocating to Switzerland to further develop the business.
- He subsequently set up Sekila International Trade in Dubai, UAE to focus on international trade and structuring.
- Mr. Moodley graduated in economics from the University of Durban and completed his honours at the University of South Africa. He has also completed the Advanced Executive program at the University of South Africa.
Mr. Carlos Tiny
- Mr. Tiny has been a high level public servant for decades, having held ministerial positions in the government of Sao Tome and Principe (Minister of Health and Sports, 1980-84; Minister of Cooperation, 1984-86; Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, 2008-10) and served as Diplomat abroad (Ambassador of Sao Tome and Principe to Portugal, Spain and Algeria, 1986-88).
- He worked for the World Health Organisation (WHO) at its Africa Regional Office at senior positions as well as WHO Representative/Head of Mission both in Cape Verde (1991-94) and Mozambique (1996-2000).
- Dr. Tiny is the founder and Chairman on the Board of the São Tomean NGO “Fundação Mãe Santomense” (Mother São Tomean Foundation) which dedicates its efforts to promote the access of children and youth from poor families to secondary and tertiary level education.
- He travelled to more than 50 countries in Africa, Europe, America and Asia.
- In 2011, he completed the Advanced Management program jointly organized by Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and the Catholic Lisbon School of Business and Economics.
Mr. João Pedro Fonseca
- Mr. João Pedro Fonseca Joao is a well-known consultant to financial institutions, entrepreneurs and family offices, in several economic areas ranging from real estate to the industrial sector. He essentially works on large project such as financing / raising funds to the tune of USD 93M on behalf of Star Park for a Private Equity fund (2012) and USD 624M in London for the execution of 3 Five Star Hotels in Angola (2016).
- Prior to this, Mr. Fonseca was the founding partner and director of a development company focused in urban renovation. The turnover amounted to over €25M in assets under management and a development area over 30,000m2. During this period, he was also a board member of a real estate developer that has developed two real estate Investment Funds.
- Mr. Fonseca started his career as a structure designer in the design office of A2P-Consult owned by Júlio and João Appleton. During this period, he participated in major urban renovation projects such as the Housing Project of the Palácio do Duque – former facilities of PIDE in Lisbon.
- João Fonseca holds an MBA from The Lisbon MBA, promoted by the Portuguese Catholic University and the New University of Lisbon in partnership with MIT – Sloan School of Management, as well as a degree in Civil Engineering by Instituto Superior Técnico, in Lisbon.